Sunday, November 26, 2006

Getting Christmas out of the attic...

It's time. There wasn't much Thanksgiving leftovers this year. In fact, the pumpkin pie was gone the morning after. It's very yummy for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee (flavored with that new Pumpkin Spice Creamer) So with the long weekend ahead and a bunch of reading to be done for school, I began to think about those boxes up in the attic.

Boxes that were labeled "Christmas" and were filled with years and years of homemade ornaments compliments of my kids. I have never been one to decide months in advance on a "theme" or "color" for the Christmas tree. Martha Stewart would probably cringe politely at the sight of my Christmas tree. The favorite and most delicate time worn ornaments are hung toward the top and the front of the tree for all to admire. Some of my favorites include Steven's cardboard green wreath which still has 5 or 6 elbow macaronis attached to it. (Steven made this in Kindergarten)Then there's two cardboard red stockings with Aldo's and Phillip's pictures in the middle. Cristina also has an ornament cut out still covered with silver glitter and her smiling picture from 2nd or 3rd grade. Yes, these are the "prized" ornaments that I carefully wrap each year when the tree comes down.

In those boxes are many Christmas memories. Even the Nativity scene that I purchased for a few dollars at a closeout store is priceless. Each year, I find a different place to set it up hoping that it inspires the same inexplicable awe I feel as I remember the story of Jesus' amazing birth.
Along with the ornaments, I have all kinds of decorations for the house. Candles, figurines and snow men...It's been a while since I've gone out and bought anything new since the "old" seems to be all I need.

Saturday was a busy day. I had a 14 miler to run with my group so by the time I got home and showered it was already early afternoon. I had to get online for school and I still have not caught up on all my reading. Today was just as busy. I taught Sunday school and went out to lunch with my daughter and hubby. Then, back online to take my 4-hour Exam! There's nothing easy about short or long essay questions especially when they count for 75% of my grade! ARGH!

After dinner I went upstairs and looked out my bedroom window. Across the street, a neighbor already has their lights up. Funny how those lights can make you feel like Christmas is quickly approaching again. So, here I sit to write (taking a break from my reading) and think about my Christmas that is STILL in the attic waiting to come out.

I'll "make time" this week after work, after I run, after making dinner...doing laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, vacuuming....you get the picture! Christmas will be here soon and I leave for Japan on Dec. 22nd. I think it's time to make a list and check it twice of what I need to do.

Stay tuned...

No comments: