Thursday, November 16, 2006

A jog down memory lane...

This has been a long busy week. Yet, I made it a priority to get my training runs in all week. I have discovered that when I am most stressed and busy that I need that solitary run to clear my head and calm my soul.

So, Wednesday was one of those stressful days. The day started off normally. I had my son take my dog Tippy to the groomer for his "regular" shampoo and trim. On my lunch, I drove to pick him up and dropped him off at home. I went back to work. When I left for home I had a strange message from my son telling me that Tippy was acting strange. When I got home and saw him, I got worried. He wouldn't even let me pick him up. I got the doggy carrier and put him in there and headed to our regular vet (who is CLOSED on Wednesday). So, we headed for an Animal Hospital nearby. After almost 2 hours, we saw the doctor who claimed that Tippy seemed to be physically ok and just exhibiting some emotional upset about his grooming experience....all normal! So we went home. My husband was out to dinner with his dad and there was no one else at home and it was almost 6:30pm. I needed to go run!

I changed and headed outside. I love the cool crisp night air. As I walked the first few minutes, I pondered which route to take. The river bed would be dark and dangerous so I opted for the neighborhood residential streets--avoiding the busy boulevards.

As I started my Garmin, I jogged slowly and headed toward our first home. It was strange to run by it and peer inside the kitchen window...the same cabinets were there. I loved that kitchen! It was a BIG kitchen. So many memories there. I wondered just how many bowls of cheerios I must have poured for my 4 kids...how many school lunches made as I looked out that same window....the family dinners around our little table. Cristina's high chair in the corner.

I was then nearing the end of the block and headed towards the elementary school...Ah, more memories. The boys and Cristina all went there. I tried to count how many Back to School nights and Open Houses...That many? I wondered.

Going the other way I headed toward home and made another turn up the street where Cristina's Preschool was...preschool....was she ever that little? I have pictures and memories to prove it but as of today, my little girl is all grown up and waiting patiently for her college acceptance letter. Can it be that she will soon be leaving home? I can remember picking her up at the preschool and at how happy she was to see me.

Turning back down the street I headed toward the elementary school and passed by Carol's house, the day-care lady who watched all 4 of my kids for a long time. A pair of white socks was on the lawn....Hmmm....a little late in the year to be playing socks, I thought. But then again, my kids used to love that game!

Yes, I was running in circles and staying close to home for this 70 minute run. On the way back, I went by the boys' high school and reminisced about them there. Jeff and I had to split into 3 and follow 3 schedules for the Back to School & Open Houses. I will never forget the last one for Phillip...I cried all the way home (we live close enough to walk).
Tonight, the parking lot by the music building was empty and quiet. The marching band parades, trips, performances...loading and unloading the buses. I stopped for a moment and closed my eyes and I could see the scene from when Phillip went to Hawaii and Steven to BC.
Saying goodbye then was hard I thought. I've said harder and longer goodbyes since then and I survived?

Bigger goodbyes await me around the corner of life....that was nothing way back when.

Time. Time has flown, I thought, as I was nearing my 70 minute run. I decided to walk and collect my thoughts and caught my tears before they fell. I was feeling so emotional and exhausted. My Garmin said 5 miles. Time to go home and shower.

I live so close to so many places that have special meaning to me and the family...and that night, I was able to appreciate them all once more, even though I felt a longing for those times again.

No comments: